Please Log-in or Create An Account to View This Resource
This Resource has content that is only available to members of ClimateAccess.org. Please log-in or sign-up in order to see this content.
The tendency of cable news networks to provide ‘both sides’ of a discussion of climate science is leading to inaccurate and misleading coverage.
WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE A LOOK
Misleading climate change coverage in the media can be endlessly frustrating for scientists and science communicators. This report from the Union of Concerned Scientists provides suggestions on how to improve climate coverage.
- Accurate science coverage in the media allows for more democratic dialogues where the risks of climate can be constructively discussed
- 70% of climate coverage on CNN was accurate, with most of the misleading statements coming from creation of a false debate on climate science
- 92% of climate coverage on MSNBC was accurate, with most of the misleading statements coming from overstating the effects of climate change
- 28% of climate coverage on Fox News was accurate, with 72% of their coverage disparaging the study of climate science and criticizing scientists
- Climate science should not be treated as a political punching bag, and cable networks doing so are doing a disservice to the American public by keeping them unable to identify risks from climate and inform the choices society will need to make