This best practices guide from Resource Media provides research and tools on how to incorporate visual storytelling into one’s work to help practitioners inspire, convince, and prompt individuals to take action or change behaviors.
WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE A LOOK:
“To move people we must connect with their emotions. And the way to connect with people on an emotional level is through visuals…the right visuals matched with the right message.”
Three Principles of Visual Communications
1. Humans are visual first, verbal second.
2. Our decisions and actions are based more on emotional reactions than rational thought.
3. Visuals are the most effective communications vehicles for evoking emotion and getting people to take action.
Seven Rules of the Road to Maximize the Impact of Visuals
1. Don’t assume others will react to a picture or video the same way you do. Test visuals with your target audience.
2. Pair your pictures with words for highest impact and to cement them deeper into your audience’s memory.
3. Make sure your images match your message.
4. Use genuine, not generic pictures.
5. First impressions matter! Invest the most in the first picture your audience sees, and in overall design quality.
6. To use pictures effectively, be diligent about taking them...and storing them for easy sharing.
7. People relate to people in pictures. Choose your subjects carefully.